Here I am. The flight is about to take off. And you know what that means. I am going to be at Jackson Hole for a while. I might be rather quiet. Posts will be infrequent (yeah, right, Tim; you always say that, and you still crank out posts at five times the rate of any other site). I have some important things to do here. So understand that Slope will not be the firehose of content that I usually provide. I appreciate your rarely-asked-for tolerance.
Slope of Hope Blog Posts
Slope initially began as a blog, so this is where most of the website’s content resides. Here we have tens of thousands of posts dating back over a decade. These are listed in reverse chronological order. Click on any category icon below to see posts tagged with that particular subject, or click on a word in the category cloud on the right side of the screen for more specific choices.
Just a little bit higher, and a new lifetime high, day after day after day.
Considering all the money that has no good home, it’s awfully odd the Fed feels duty-bound to shove $120 billion down the throats of banks month after month with no end. Here’s the overnight reverse repo:
For the press conference. You’re welcome.
Let’s imagine the year is 2028. Let’s further imagination this is the scenario:
- The Federal Reserve is finishing up its twentieth year of “extraordinary accommodations” that began with the Great Financial Crisis, and interest rates remain nominally at 0%;
- The national debt has crossed the $50 trillion level;
- The US dollar has lost its reserve currency status and has plunged against other currencies;
- The Dow is approaching the 100,000 mark for the first time, much to the excitement of the media;
- The employment participation rate has slipped under 50% for the first time in the country’s history;
- Every citizen is guaranteed $50,000 in U.S. Digital Dollars every year for their living and housing expenses.
- Recent testimony by the Chairman of the Federal Reserve reveals that they are continuing to monitor the economic data, they believe it is too soon to taper, and they will deploy whatever tools they require in order to fulfill their dual mandate.